World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 15 June 2022
Information and advice, call 1800 700 600
This year, COTA NT joins other agencies to promote the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) information and advice line, free to call 1800 700 600. If you are unable to use a telephone, please ask someone you trust to make the call for you.
In recognition of WEAAD and to launch this year’s observance – Community is invited to attend a morning tea in Darwin at the Botanic Gardens Event Centre, 10am to 2pm.
Working to prevent abuse in the NT
COTA NT is one of a number of Territory agencies working to elder abuse along with Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities – Office of Senior Territorians, COTA NT, Anglicare NT, Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS), Relationships Australia , Australian Security & Investment Commission, Catholic Care NT, Central Australian Women’s Legal Service (CAWLS).*
Where to seek help and support in the Northern Territory
In a critical situation (e.g. where there is a serious risk to an older person’s life), it is vital to seek help from the appropriate emergency service (e.g. Police or Ambulance) by phoning 000.
National Elder Abuse Phone Line
- 1800 353 374 (1800 Elder Help) – Call the National Elder Abuse phone line for information, support and referrals. Your calls will be referred to Territory Families FACES phone support.
- National number requested by Commonwealth Government with service directed for response by each State/Territory.
Catholic Care NT Alice Springs
- 8958 2400 – www.catholiccarent.org.au
- Catholic Care NT in Alice Springs is an Aged Care Advocate that support older people through information about aged care services, rights and responsibilities.
1800 353 374 – Calls are referred to Territory Families FACES phone support
Central Australian Women’s Legal Service
Darwin Community Legal Services
- Elder Abuse Information Line – 1800 037 072
- 8982 1111 or 1800 812 953 (free call) – www.dcls.org.au
- Operates the Elder Abuse Information Line, which assists seniors and their families with information and referrals to a range of support services.
- Funded by the Northern Territory Government: Older Person’s Strategy Advocacy Service – Education and prevention focus
Relationships Australia NT
- 8923 4999 – www.nt.relationships.org.au
- Relationships Australia’s Senior Relationship Services supports older people to feel respected and safe. It offers early intervention support and counselling and facilitates family meetings for seniors and their families.
- The service is free, people can self refer to be referred by service provider. Operates in Darwin, Alice Springs and limited outreach to Katherine and Tennant Creek.
- Funded by the Commonwealth Government to provide targeted service provision to seniors at risk of abuse, Elder Abuse Service Trial)
- In the Northern Territory, this service is called Seniors Relationships Services (SRS).
For more information about World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, visit elderabuseawareness.day.org.au
It also includes ideas and resources for ways in which you can help mark and promote awareness of the day and issue.