Advocacy for all Senior Territorians
COTA NT’s advocacy for senior Territorians aims to effect positive social change. It helps ensure that seniors’ voices are heard on issues important to them.
COTA NT aims to defend and safeguard seniors’ rights and ensure their views are genuinely considered, especially when decisions are being made about their lives. COTA NT has over 50 years of history in advocating for senior Territorians and ensuring their voice has a say in the development of public policy and legislation.
- An Agenda for Government from Older Australians (April 2022) COTA Australia prepared this document to describe the policy opportunities for the 47th Parliament of Australia to improve the lives of older Australians. It features 37 recommendations for the 47th Parliament of Australia based around: whole of Government approach, aged care, retirement income, health, older workers, housing, age discrimination, older women, elder abuse, digital inclusion, social inclusion, voluntary assisted dying laws.
- COTA NT Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026
- COTA NT Bidding for Senior Territorians 2020 COTA NT prepared this election submission calling on the Northern Territory Government to invest in six key areas that will improve the lives of senior Territorians. Investment in liveable communities, skills and jobs, accessible information, planning for change, a safe Northern Territory and in reducing the cost of living.
- View our submissions.
Events & Observances
Collaborations and Partnerships
- See current collaborations.
- Supports the Every Age Counts Campaign, an advocacy campaign funded by The Benevolent Society to tackle ageism across Australia and raises awareness of ageism and the Pledge Against Ageism.
- Darwin Community Legal Service’s event promoting awareness of elder abuse hosted by COTA NT at Spillett House (2018). COTA NT publishes information to promote awareness of World Elder Abuse Day (15 June) including access to useful resources and continues to work in partnership with local service providers to promote awareness of the day.
- Promotes and supports the work of organisations such as Relationships Australia, in particular its Find and Connect Service and Senior Relationship Service Programs.
- Use channels to inform Territory seniors about the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety and community forums.
- See also our Sponsors and Supporters.
Programs and Projects
- Manages and delivers the NT Seniors Card program on behalf of the Northern Territory Government to help reduce seniors’ cost of living.
- Part of a national trial to deliver the Aged Care Navigators program, which aims to help people access vital government-funded aged care services and support (2019 – ).
- Delivers the Partners in Culturally Appropriate Care Program (PICAC) in the Northern Territory on behalf of the Commonwealth Department of Health.
- Provides multicultural social and support groups for seniors through the Multicultural Services Program (funded by Northern Territory Government grants).
Page updated: 16 May 2022