Multicultural Advocacy in the NT
Partners in Culturally Appropriate Care, PICAC NT
Cultural Background Resources March 2020-2021 – links to key resources to help care for seniors from CaLD backgrounds.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Translated Resources.
For Information about translator services in the NT click here.
In the Northern Territory the Partners in Culturally Appropriate Aged Care (PICAC) program is managed by COTA NT (also known as Council on the Ageing – Northern Territory).
A dedicated staff member works on the program and its aims to:
- Ensure the special needs of older people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are identified and addressed
- Improve the partnerships between aged care providers, culturally and linguistically diverse communities and the Commonwealth Department of Health & Ageing.
How this is achieved
Our Program Manager delivers the PICAC program through a wide program of activities based on networking – making connections within the NT community through events and meetings; and representation – giving CaLD seniors a voice at advisory groups and forums, service delivery and training.
- Cultural expertise
- Events and training
- Programs and projects
- Advanced care planning
- MASP (Multicultural affairs sponsorship program)
- Migration stories
- See Me Know Me – PICAC NT supports Meaningful Ageing Australia‘s campaign to help older people, their families and carers start the right conversations with aged care providers. The kit (offered also in Chinese, Greek, Italian, and Khmer) includes suggestions for ‘conversation starters’ – designed for you to use with aged care providers, so you know they ‘see you and know you’ (view See Me Know Me resources)
- Your Home – Information on how to plan and create a safer and more comfortable home environment for you and your loved ones, as you get older. Available in six languages: English, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Italian and Vietnamese (view Your Home resources)
- Aged care and culturally appropriate aged care
- CULTURAL BACKGROUND RESOURCES 2020-2021 (updated 01 March 2021)
- Cultural Background Resources COVID-19 (updated 22-04-2020)
- Health care issues for older Territorians
- Multicultural Older Persons COVID – 19 Support Line – Information about the Support Line and promotional materials including posters, flyers and social media tiles.
Call Cecilia Chiolero, Multicultural Advocate for NT Seniors, PICAC NT on 8941 1004 during office hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm excluding public holidays or send her a message.