Serious electrical fault

Serious electrical fault

A small electrical tingle could have proved fatal for one member

A member reached out to Steve Thomas and the Home Maintenance Service to ask why she was experiencing an electrical “tingle” in the bath tub and whether a fix was possible.

Steve realised straightaway that this could be a symptom of a potentially serious electrical fault and sourced an electrician from a local Darwin electrical contracting firm immediately. Steve reassured the member that an electrician was on the way, and ensured that she was happy with the service and price agreed. 

The electrician found that no earth was operational in the property. If a house is not earthed, people could get electrocuted. (Without an earth connection, the safety switches will not work and an electrical fault could cause a house or appliances to become ‘live’ as the current flows to earth.) The electrician immediately returned to base and acquired the appropriate equipment and installed a functioning earth stake that afternoon, making the house safe and avoiding a potentially fatal accident.

Fortunately not all our members’ maintenance issues require such urgent attention. This case emphasizes how important it is, to get the ‘little’ things checked out.

Member’s satisfaction score

A resounding five out of five stars.

Safety at home

You may find these sources of information useful when reviewing your safety at home.

COTA NT's e-news

Sign up today for free and get news that's of interest to you.

  • This is optional and information used only for demographic reference.
    Please check those relevant to you. We are aiming to tailor our correspondence to let you know about activities particularly suited to you.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.