World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 15 June 2021
COTA NT marks World Elder Abuse Awareness Day 15 June 2021 by:
- promoting awareness of the day and the issue of elder or older persons’ abuse through a community event held in partnership with other agencies, wearing symbolic purple (the designated colour of WEAAD), releasing a media statement through email, website and social media channels.
- sharing information about the work being done in the Northern Territory by COTA NT and other agencies.
- providing information on World Elder Abuse Awareness Day and Elder Abuse.
WEAAD COTA NT Community BBQ 15 June 2021
- Date/ Time: Tuesday 15 June 2021, 12.30pm and 2pm
- Free event and no bookings required.
- Venue: Lawns (and indoors) at Spillett House, 65 Smith Street, Darwin
Presented by COTA NT (Aged Care Navigator, NT Seniors Card and CaLD Program Managers), Casuarina Lions, Relationships Australia, Darwin Community Legal Service, Services Australia (Centrelink) and Office of the Public Guardian.
Join us on the lawns of Spillett House for an informal community barbecue. Talk to advocates about your questions and get advice where needed. Confidential interview areas available indoors.
Working to prevent abuse in the NT
COTA NT is one of a number of agencies working to address issues of ‘elder abuse’ and build services in this area.
- NT Elder Abuse/Older Person’s Abuse Response Services – Consists of Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities – Office of Senior Territorians, COTA NT, Anglicare NT, Darwin Community Legal Service (DCLS), Relationships Australia , Australian Security & Investment Commission, Catholic Care NT, Central Australian Women’s Legal Service (CAWLS).*
- Purpose: To build a map of what is available to Territorians and to share information.
- COTA NT host Seniors Expos throughout the year inviting all agencies to attend and promote community awareness of their services.
- DCLS providing training workshops for service providers to identify types of elder abuse; provide community awareness and develop TV campaign.
- Relationships Australia delivering Senior Relationships Services.
- Anglicare looking at incorporating elder abuse into risk assessment at intakes and want to increase knowledge of services that can help clients in remote areas.
- Four geriatricians work in Darwin and services are slowly building.
*COTA NT is pleased to work with these organisations – major sponsors or Club and Associate Members (excluding CAWLS) – to improve the well-being and circumstances of senior Territorians.
National Elder Abuse Phone Line – 1800 353 374 Call the National Elder Abuse phone line for information, support and referrals. Your calls will be referred to Territory Families FACES phone support.
Where to seek help and support in the Northern Territory
In a critical situation (e.g. where there is a serious risk to an older person’s life), it is vital to seek help from the appropriate emergency service (e.g. Police or Ambulance) by phoning 000.
National Elder Abuse Phone Line
- 1800 353 374 (1800 Elder Help) – Call the National Elder Abuse phone line for information, support and referrals. Your calls will be referred to Territory Families FACES phone support.
- National number requested by Commonwealth Government with service directed for response by each State/Territory.
Darwin Community Legal Services
- Elder Abuse Information Line – 1800 037 072
- 8982 1111 or 1800 812 953 (free call) – www.dcls.org.au
- Operates the Elder Abuse Information Line, which assists seniors and their families with information and referrals to a range of support services.
- Funded by the Northern Territory Government: Older Person’s Strategy Advocacy Service – Education and prevention focus
Relationships Australia NT
- 8923 4999 – www.nt.relationships.org.au
- Relationships Australia’s Senior Relationship Services supports older people to feel respected and safe. It offers early intervention support and counselling and facilitates family meetings for seniors and their families.
- The service is free, people can self refer to be referred by service provider. Operates in Darwin, Alice Springs and limited outreach to Katherine and Tennant Creek.
- Funded by the Commonwealth Government to provide targeted service provision to seniors at risk of abuse, Elder Abuse Service Trial)
- In the Northern Territory, this service is called Seniors Relationships Services (SRS).
Catholic Care (Alice Springs)
- 8958 2400 – www.catholiccarent.org.au
- Catholic Care NT in Alice Springs is an Aged Care Advocate that support older people through information about aged care services, rights and responsibilities.
For more information about World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, visit our web page. It also includes ideas and resources for ways in which you can help mark and promote awareness of the day and issue.