Checklist for age-friendly social participation
Morning teas are always popular
If you are running age-friendly social activities, consider following the guidelines below:
- A location that is convenient to older people with affordable, flexible transportation
- The option of participation with friend or caregiver
- Timing of events which are convenient for older people during the day
- Admission to an event is open (no membership required) – admission is a quick one-stop process that does not require older people to queue for a long time
- Events and activities are affordable with no hidden costs
- A wide range of activities is available to appeal to a diverse population of older people
- Community activities which encourage participation of people of different ages and cultural backgrounds
- Facilities are accessible
- Activities and events are well-communicated to older people
- Facilities are used for multi-purpose.
More information about age-friendly communities including guidelines for social participation are published by the World Health Organisation (Global Age Friendly Cities – A Guide).