Part of COTA NT’s aims for Territory seniors is to provide and promote opportunities for age-friendly social participation in support of the World Health Organisation’s framework for age friendly cities (communities).
Music lovers meet regularly at COTA
Get-togethers for games and music
Our most regular activities focus on bringing groups with a shared interest together such as social bingo and musical jamming. Both groups meet regularly at Spillett House and enjoy access to air-conditioned and comfortable spaces, access to the kitchen and are asked only to make a small donation, if able, towards running costs. Groups are facilitated by COTA volunteers.
Regular opportunities to view movies with particular appeal to seniors are offered by Event Cinemas in Darwin and Palmerston. Event Cinemas is an active supporter of COTA NT (read more).
For news of upcoming events and activities, follow our Facebook page or view our online event calendar.
If you are a service provider or business wanting to sponsor or support a particular activity for seniors, please contact us.
Checklist for age-friendly social participation
Morning teas are always popular
If you are running age-friendly social activities, consider following the guidelines below:
- Location convenient to older people with affordable, flexible transportation
- Option of participation with friend or caregiver
- Times of events are convenient for older people during the day
- Admission to an event is open (no membership required) – admission is a quick one-stop process that does not require older people to queue for a long time
- Events and activities are affordable with no hidden costs
- A wide range of activities is available to appeal to a diverse population of older people
- Community activities which encourage participation of people of different ages and cultural backgrounds
- Facilities are accessible
- Activities and events are well-communicated to older people
- Facilities are used for multi-purpose.