Fit for life activity sessions
We will be following our COVID-19 Safety Plan and resuming classes with a revised format.
- Attendance in the large activity room is limited to 10 people only. All places must be pre-booked either by Eventbrite (the link is on our event listings on the calendar and Facebook page) or by calling Fran on 08 8941 1004.
- For Pilates, you must bring your own mat.
- For all classes, you are required to bring your own pen for sign-in and your own water bottle.
- If you are unwell cough or fever (or other respiratory systems), or if you have not isolated yourself for at least 14 days following overseas travel, you are not permitted to attend.
- Tai Chi resumes from 26 May, 6pm-7pm on Tuesday evenings at Spillett House.
- Walking Netball resumes from Wednesday 10 June, 9.30am – 10.30am at CDU Stadium, 235 Abala Road, Marrarra.
- Pilates and Seated Aerobics have resumed with class limits, but are also available via ZOOM. Online classes via Sharon’s wonderful Super Agers YouTube channel.
Please see our calendar for registration details or phone Fran for more information on 8941 1004.
- LIIT Circuit (Low Intensity Interval Training) has resumed for Seniors Month.
Fit for Life Classes Online
You can also view COTA NT online Fit for Life classes here.
Please note advice from Sharon on how to use the classes before you begin. Do send us your feedback about the classes, as we can’t ask you in person.
COTA NT offers participation in health, well being and fitness sessions at the lowest cost possible to participants (in line with WHO age-friendly guidelines) and to encourage as much participation as possible. Participants are encouraged to socialise before and after each class. Classes start from 9.30am to suit most seniors’ preferred times.
About our activities
The instructors for health and fitness-based programs hosted by COTA NT are appropriately qualified and have a duty of care towards patrons. However, before your first session, you must follow the ‘Before you attend’ guidelines below.
- $5* COTA NT members (find out how to join COTA NT)
- $7 non-COTA members
- Or as advertised.
*COTA NT membership card must be shown before each session to qualify for the discount (view more information about COTA NT membership)
Face to face programs currently suspended include: Pilates, Seated Aerobics and LIIT Circuit (Low Intensity Interval Training)
New Programs for 2020
- Walking Netball in Alice Springs
- LIIT Circuit: Low Intensity Circuit Training in Darwin
- Tai Chi on Tuesdays
For more information, please visit the COTA NT activities calendar.
Before you attend
- check with your doctor first before starting any exercise program
- if you have any concerns regarding your fitness level, ability or skill or undertake this activity, you should seek the appropriate independent advice.
- before your first sessions, you must fill in a Pre-Exercise Screening form and raise any health concerns with the instructor
- register your attendance (which includes agreement to a voluntary assumption of risk: that you undertake the class at your own risk and acknowledge and voluntarily accept the level of risk consequent with that activity)
- bring comfortable clothes and shoes, drink bottle and towel.
Other fitness activities
There are many programs offered by other organisations, service providers and businesses. If you can’t find an activity hosted by COTA NT, please view those listed on the Territory Seniors Calendar.
Senior month classes
Typically during Seniors Month, additional funding from the Northern Territory government enables us to trial new classes. In the past these have included: Laughter Yoga, Yoga, Meditation, Chair-Seated Exercise Aerobics, Spilates (a unique blend of Pilates and strength training), Cardio Fun, Bootcamp and Boxercise.
Page updated: 26 May 2020