Fit for life activity sessions
COTA NT offers participation in health, well being and fitness sessions at the lowest cost possible to participants (in line with WHO age-friendly guidelines) and to encourage as much participation as possible. These sessions (with the exception of Walking Netball) are held in the large air-conditioned meeting room at Spillett House. Participants are encouraged to socialise before and after each class. Classes start from 9.30am to suit most seniors’ preferred times.
About our activities
The instructors for health and fitness-based programs held at COTA NT are appropriately qualified and have a duty of care towards patrons. However, before your first session, you must follow the ‘Before you attend’ guidelines below.
- $5* COTA NT members (find out how to join COTA NT)
- $7 non-COTA members
- Walking Netball – FREE for first term
*COTA NT membership card must be shown before each session to qualify for the discount (view more information about COTA NT membership)
Programs running currently include: Pilates (core strength training), Seated Aerobics and Tai Chi for Health *(flexibility, mobility, balance, falls prevention), Yoga and Walking Netball.
Pilates, Seated Aerobics and Tai Chi for Health are supported by Regis Aged Care & Regis Home Care
New Fit for Life Programs
- New program Walking Netball (Wednesdays 6 November to 18 December 2019, 10am to 12pm) – FREE
Before you attend
- check with your doctor first before starting any exercise program
- if you have any concerns regarding your fitness level, ability or skill or undertake this activity, you should seek the appropriate independent advice.
- before your first sessions, you must fill in a Pre-Exercise Screening form and raise any health concerns with the instructor
- register your attendance (which includes agreement to a voluntary assumption of risk: that you undertake the class at your own risk and acknowledge and voluntarily accept the level of risk consequent with that activity)
- bring comfortable clothes and shoes, drink bottle and towel.
Senior month classes
Typically during Seniors Month, additional funding from the Northern Territory government enables us to trial new classes. In the past these have included: Laughter Yoga, Yoga, Meditation, Chair-Seated Exercise Aerobics, Spilates (a unique blend of Pilates and strength training), Cardio Fun, Bootcamp and Boxercise.
Page updated: October 2019