What’s on after August for NT seniors
29 Aug 2017
A number of seniors reported a touch of event fatigue this week – happily so, we should add – and certainly it’s been a busy time of year with not only Seniors Month activities, but racing, Darwin Festival and the Desert Festival on the calendar too. We’ve noted those record-hot July temperatures and some fairly warm August days, according to BOM, the “heart of the Dry season is probably over” and so we’re sadly farewelling the Dry Season for 2017.
So now what? Well, the good news is many activities which were available to try in Seniors Month run almost all year-round and in line with WHO guidelines around accessibility, affordability, range of activities, location and integration – and also offer NT seniors comfortable and cool conditions as well.
At COTA, we are working on letting more seniors and caregivers become aware of opportunities for socialisation, support and participation. We encourage people to visit the online seniors’ community calendar hosted by COTA with the support of the NT Government to find out what’s on – it can be viewed online at www.cotant.org.au/territory-seniors-calendar. (The COTA website also offers “INFO” on aged care services, service providers, health care, clubs and organisations, policy, housing, elder abuse, transport, financial services, seniors’ programs/schemes and more.)
Free ways to promote your events
One-off events or ongoing activities for the over 50s can be promoted by submitting details to this online community calendar and other free-to-use communication channels such as:
- Territory Seniors Calendar – dedicated to seniors’ activities and events
- The Community Noticeboard in The Suns (email mailsun @thesuns.com.au – without space)
- City of Darwin Online Calendar (https://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/explore/whats-on)
- City Of Palmerston Noticeboard (http://community.palmerston.nt.gov.au/events)
- Ten Darwin’s television noticeboard (email office @tendarwin.com.au for details – without space)
- ComWeb on Territory FM’s website
- Mix FM What’s On Mix FM 104.9
- Off the Leash – Online calendar submissions
- Enjoy Darwin
- Media releases
We have a growing and increasingly interactive following of the COTA NT Facebook page and, where possible, will share event posts about seniors’ events, activities and offers. Links to these can be sent through to . All easy and low-costs ways to let other senior Territorians know what’s on and where to go to in every month of the year.
Tags: Seniors Voice