COTA NT – the 2016 year under review
20 Dec 2016
As the leading Territory seniors’ advocacy body COTA NT promotes the concerns of all senior Territorians to be recognised by government, the general community and media as representing, advocating for and serving all older Territorians.
Against this background and in recognition of the on-going efforts of the Board of Management, staff, volunteers, helpers and supporters, following are just some the organisations key achievements for 2016.
- The calendar year started with the Lord Mayor presenting the City of Darwin Australia Day Best Community Event Award for the 2015 Seniors Expo.
- The Ministers Advisory Council – Senior Territorians was the forum for COTA NT to lobby strongly for a review of the seniors’ concession scheme which has grown to be unfair and inequitable.
- In June, the highly successful 2016 Expo was staged in the grounds of the Museum and Art Gallery. Over 900 seniors attended visiting 80 senior friendly events and stalls.
July and August saw the launch and public promotion of the COTA NT on-line petition asking both political parties to commit to an urgent review of the Seniors Concession Scheme. The campaign was highly successful with over 780 signatures secured and hundreds of comments posted by concerned senior Territorians aying exactly how they felt about the Governments’ discriminatory actions.
- The Petition was Tabled in the Legislative Assembly on 22 November by the Assistant Minister for Seniors, Ngaree Ahkit MLA. This action has secured a review of the Scheme with the first meeting of an “Expert Review Group” which includes COTA NT meeting on 5 December.
- Last week the Administrator the Honourable John Hardy officiated at the iconic High Tea event which will be now become a regular part of the COTA NT social agenda.
Weekly well-being classes including Yoga, Pilates and Zumba Gold were all well attended throughout the year and will continue in 2017. In addition, the popular music jam sessions, computer training and multicultural events are also programmed. The tremendous efforts of the dedicated band of volunteers who help every day at COTA NT are also greatly appreciated.
COTA NT wishes all Territory seniors a very Merry Christmas and every best wish for a Happy New New Year.