What to look for
It’s easier to spot a scam if you know what to look for. Be careful if:
- someone you don’t know contacts you out of the blue
- someone asks you to pay for something or give them money by unusual payment methods
- such as gift cards, wire transfers or cryptocurrencies
- someone you’ve never met in person asks for money
- something sounds too good to be true – like an online shopping deal or you’ve won a
- competition, have unclaimed inheritance, or been invited to invest in an ‘amazing’ scheme
- someone asks you to pay for something in advance – especially by an unusual payment method
- someone asks you for personal information – like your bank details or passwords or access to your computer
- someone pressures you into buying something or making a decision quickly.
Go back to first page.
Further information and reading
Source: Information is provided by Australian Competition & Consumer Commission