Research and surveys
Reports based on our survey findings can be found on our Findings and Reports page.
Take the survey (click here )
We welcome responses to the surveys published below from all seniors in the Territory (both COTA and non-COTA members).
COTA NT 2022 Is the Territory Age-Friendly? Survey
- Ageism Awareness Day 2022 is on the 7 October. It aims to draw attention to the existence and impacts of ageism. In the run up to AAD 2022, we want to find out if, or how, older Territorians have been affected by ageism.
- Our investigation into ageism in the Territory aims to answer the question, “Is the Territory of 2022 a place where every person is valued, connected and respected regardless of their age and health?”
- View and download survey here (you will need to post or email its return)
- The online version is available here.
COTA NT conducts independent surveys, surveys commissioned by government or other agencies. We also help partner organisations promote awareness of their surveys. Reports based on our survey findings can be found on our Research and Reports page.
COTA NT 2022 Cost of Living Survey
- We revisit our Cost of Living Survey, first completed in 2020 in order to compare the situation two years on. Topics in this survey included: residency in the Northern Territory, demographics, financial security, employment status, employment sector, annual income and highest expense impacting cost of living.
- This survey has now closed and results being collated.
View the final COTA NT Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026 here
COTA NT Stakeholder Survey
- First released on NT Seniors Voice, COTA NT’s Community Engagement Hub 21 June. Survey closes 31 August 2021. The survey is now closed and the Strategic Plan is launching soon.
COTA NT is the peak body representing the rights, interests and futures of senior Territorians. Since 1969, COTA NT has been working towards making positive social change and lobbies government, media and other parties influencing decision-making on topics relevant to seniors including ageism, communications, elder abuse, health, housing, retirement, cost of living, access to aged care, aged care provision and much more.
The COTA NT Board and staff are now preparing their Strategic Plan 2021-2025 and would value your feedback as we develop our priorities for the next four years. The survey will take less than 5 minutes.
- View the final COTA NT Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026
Your Volunteering Survey May 2021
- Released on NT Seniors Voice, COTA NT’s Community Engagement Hub Survey Opened 17 May. Survey closed 17 June 2021.
COTA NT marks National Volunteers Week by showing its appreciation for volunteers every year. Every hour volunteered can be given a dollar amount. Last year, COTA NT volunteers’ contribution could be valued at over $40,000. This survey asked volunteers aged 50+ to tell us about their volunteering hours, so we could sing out about the contribution that senior Volunteers make to the Northern Territory (view findings).
COTA NT Have Your Say – COVID-19 – Survey 2020
- Released: March/April 2020
This survey asked our stakeholders to let us know how they were feeling about the current coronavirus crisis at time of survey (March/April 2020). Information provided back to us suggested that our role and support during this time was well-balanced and that all respondents were happy with the level of support and amount of information that they received from us and other reliable news sources (view findings).
StepUp Dementia Research
- First published January 2020: Ongoing survey opportunities
The goal of StepUp for Dementia Research is to make it possible for everyone who wants to be involved in dementia research to get the chance to do so and to help researchers find the people they need. You may asked to be involved in research around topics such as: nutrition, lifestyle, new technology, psychological therapy, physical therapy, drug trial, citizen science, survey/interview, brain imaging, genetic test, cognitive test, social engagement, procedure/treatment. Visit their website to sign up.
COTA NT 2020 Cost of Living Survey
- Topics in this survey included: residency in the Northern Territory, demographics, financial security, employment status, employment sector, annual income and highest expense impacting cost of living (view findings).
COTA NT 2019 Seniors Survey
- Topics in this survey included crime and security, financial security, quality of life and concerns (view findings).
COTA NT 2018 Seniors Survey
- Topics in this survey included: quality of life, employment, health, financial security and cost of living, vulnerability, future sentiment and concerns, feelings of value, age discrimination, home and aged care, housing, later life planning, consumer complaints and rights and getting around (view findings).
COTA NT 2014 – 2015 Seniors Survey (Now You See Us)
- Topics in this survey included: demographics, residency and intentions to stay in or leave the Territory; inter generational connections, information and technology use; employment and income; housing situation and needs; health and well being, security and safety, and quality of life; caring and being cared for; transport and mobility (view findings).