For COTA Australia submissions, please visit the COTA Australia website.
For more information on COTA NT submissions, please contact us.
For details of submissions made to the Northern Territory Government only, click here.
- Letter to City of Darwin_Submission regarding Bagot Park Master Plan – Writing with suggestions to develop Bagot Park as a safe, equitable, accessible and appropriate multi-generational ‘age-friendly’ space. Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – 27 March 2022
- Letter to Chief Minister – NT Seniors Recognition Scheme – In light of rising costs of living, request for NTG to increase the amount provided to seniors on the NT Seniors Recognition Scheme by at least $100.00. Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – 20 March 2022
- 5 May 2022 Outcome: Letter received from Acting Minister for Seniors, Selena Uibo. An increase to the value of the NTSRS prepaid card is not being considered at this time (read here).
- Letter to Chief Minister – Katherine Age Disability Officer– Writing to express concerns that 1,500 Katherine senior residents should have Officer in situ to help with aged and disability issues. Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – 27 May 2022
- 22 June 2022 Outcome: Letter received from Chief Minister Natasha Fyles. There was never any intention for this role to be moved to Darwin, and it will remain in Katherine. (read here).
- Letter to Assistant Minister for Housing Jonathon Duniam – In support of the Building Better Homes campaign urging him to support the inclusion of mandatory minimum accessibility standards in the National Construction Code, when Building Ministers meet on 30 April (plus brief overview of shortage of affordable housing options for NT seniors).
Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – 23 March 2021
- 4 May 2021 Outcome: Building Ministers’ Meeting: Communiqué April 2021
- “Building Ministers agreed to include mandatory minimum accessibility standards in the National Construction Code – to the Silver Level. The Gold Standard will also be included in the NCC as a ‘technical referral’ meaning states and territories can decide to upgrade to Gold voluntarily. Against fierce opposition from the building industry, together we have successfully changed the National Construction Code. From September next year, all new houses will be required to be built to the new standard. Whilst there is still work to do to secure a mandatory Gold Standard, this is a big win for people with disability, seniors and indeed all Australians. Congratulations to everyone who has worked over many many years to secure this critical reform. Millions of Australians will benefit from your hard work.” Alistair Webster, Campaign Director
- Open letter / media release – “COTA NT and National Seniors Call on NT Government to Satisfy Election Promise for NT Seniors Lifestyle Accommodation” Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – 26 February 2021
- Email to City of Darwin Anula Greenbelt Exercise Station Trail Community Consultation – Submission on behalf of a number of senior ladies who live alone and were worried about their safety due to the proximity of proposed siting of benches and rails to residential properties. The email requested that the benches and walking rails be re-located. Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – March 2021
- Letter to Housing Minister – Kate Worden 11 February 2021
2016 – 2020
- NT Rebound Submission 20-07-2020 – COTA NT’s submission to help shape the agenda to propel the Territory’s economic recovery, create jobs and attract more private investment to the Territory. Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – July 2020
- COTA NT Bidding for Senior Territorians 2020 – Election Submission calling on the Northern Territory Government to invest in six key areas that will improve the lives of senior Territorians. Investment in liveable communities, skills and jobs, accessible information, planning for change, a safe Northern Territory and in reducing the cost of living. (click here to read) Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – February 2020
- Letter to Northern Territory MLA – Religious Freedom Letter to Politicians “…to express our substantive concerns with the proposed legislation. Protecting religious freedoms should not override existing anti-discrimination protections…” (click here to read) Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – January 2020
- Open letter/ media release – “Sex work would devalue people’s homes” (click here to read) Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – December 2019
- Letter to the Northern Territory Attorney-General – “Please agree to take action to harmonise Power of Attorney orders immediately enabling the establishment of a national register. This will ensure the Northern Territory Government is doing its best to help older people at risk of abuse.” (click here to read) Sue Shearer, CEO COTA NT – November 2019
- Petition to Northern Territory Government that, “The Northern Territory Government launch an immediate and urgent review of the Seniors Concession Scheme to redress inequities and unfairness in the Scheme with a view to reinstating concessions for seniors throughout the Territory disenfranchised by the May 2014 Budget decision.” Graeme Bevis, CEO COTA NT – June 2016