Part of COTA NT’s aims for Territory seniors is to provide and promote opportunities for age-friendly social participation in support of the World Health Organisation’s framework for age friendly cities (communities).
Music lovers meet weekly at COTA
Our most regular activities focus on bringing groups with a shared interest together such as social bingo and musical jamming. Both groups meet weekly at Spillett House and enjoy free access to our meeting rooms, air-conditioned and comfortable spaces, access to the kitchen and are asked only to make a small donation, if able, towards running costs. Groups are facilitated by COTA volunteers.
For news of upcoming events and activities, sign up for COTA news for email notifications or view our latest Events program.
If you are a service provider or business wanting to sponsor or support a particular activity for seniors, please contact us.
Checklist for age-friendly social participation
Morning teas are always popular
If you are running age-friendly social activities, consider following the guidelines below:
- Location convenient to older people with affordable, flexible transportation
- Option of participation with friend or caregiver
- Times of events are convenient for older people during the day
- Admission to an event is open (no membership required) – admission is a quick one-stop process that does not require older people to queue for a long time
- Events and activities are affordable with no hidden costs
- A wide range of activities is available to appeal to a diverse population of older people
- Community activities which encourage participation of people of different ages and cultural backgrounds
- Facilities are accessible
- Activities and events are well-communicated to older people
- Facilities are used for multi-purpose.